Wednesday, August 1, 2012

"Polish" Salmon and Risotto

I'm not sure if this recipe is really Polish or not.  I just know that it's delicious, and that I got the recipe from my friend (who is Polish).  Regardless, it's delicious.  Since we were making this for a Saturday stay-at-home date night I paired the salmon with a tasty leek-pancetta-pea risotto and artichokes.  Artichokes are probably my favorite vegetables.  It makes me so sad that they are kind of on the expensive side because if they weren't I would have them a couple times a week.  But since I'm not part of the 1% (even though my boyfriend likes to tell me I am because I have things like multiple sets of sheets and kitchen towels) I'll settle for having them a couple times a month when they are in season.  And, as I have said before, making risotto really is a 2 man job.  You need a partner who can help you stir when your arm gets tired/when you get bored.

"Polish" Salmon


What you need:
1 side of salmon (skin-on)
Salt and pepper
1/2 stick butter, approx. (I used smart balance because sometimes I try to be healthy)
2 T fresh dill (or to taste)
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 T lemon juice
2 T dry white wine
1-2 bay leaf (cracked into pieces)

What you do:

Heat oven to 400*.  Rinse of the salmon, pat it dry and season it liberally with salt and pepper on both sides.  Place the salmon skin side down on a large piece of aluminum foil inside a baking dish.

In a small bowl mix together the butter, lemon juice, wine, dill and garlic. Spread the butter mixture over the salmon and distribute the bay leaves over the top of that.  Bring the edges of the foil up and crimp them together so it makes a loose tent/pouch.  Bake for 15 minutes.  


Leek-Bacon-Pea Risotto

What you need:


6 cups chicken broth
1 1/4 cups Arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine (not going to lie, I just use whatever wine I'm going to drink that night)
1/4 grated parmesan cheese
1 T fresh lemon juice
1 leek, thinly sliced (white and light green parts only)
2 slices of bacon cut into small strips
1/2 cup frozen peas (optional, but highly recommended)

What you do:


In a small pot bring the chicken broth to a simmer.  Meanwhile, in a large straight sided skillet cook the bacon until it's medium brown (but not crisp) then add the leeks and cook for another couple of minutes until they are softened.  Add the rice and stir until translucent around the edges.  


Add the wine and stir until it is evaporated.  Add 1 cup of chicken broth and stir until it's absorbed by the rice. 


Keep adding the chicken broth like this, 1 cup at a time, until the rice is al dente and the risotto is nice and creamy (you may not need all the chicken stock).  Stir in the peas after you add in the last cup of chicken stock.  Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the parmesan cheese.


When it comes to artichokes, I am a traditionalist.  I just steam them until the leaves are tender and serve them with mayo to dip in.  Deeeeelicious.  


Sorry this picture is not the greatest, you're lucky you got a picture at all because I was dying to eat this by the time it was on my plate.  In fact, I was all set to dig in and stuff my face when Cole was like "WAIT! You need a picture for your blog!"  Anyway, there were no leftovers from this so I'll consider that a successful dinner in my book.  


No comments:

Post a Comment