Thursday, May 10, 2012

Baked Jalapeno Poppers

Jalapeno poppers are the perfect summer bbq appetizer, or game day snack.  They are also ridiculously quick and easy to make.  Traditional jalapeno poppers are breaded and fried, but these are baked so they're somewhat healthy (or eat least healthier than the traditional ones).  Now you can feel less guilty about stuffing your face.  These jalapenos really aren't that spicy because you have to take out the seeds and most of the membranes in order to stuff each half.  I left as much membrane as I could and left the seed stragglers in because we love spicy food.  If you don't like really spicy food then just make sure you clean out the peppers really well (all of the heat lives in the seeds and membrane).  I also went a little wild and made some stuffed habanero peppers.  Now  these really are spicy.  Be careful when handling habaneros, the first time I made these I didn't use any gloves and my hands felt like they were on FIRE for the next two days even though I washed my hands immediately after touching them.  

Baked Jalapeno Poppers
What you need:
10 fresh jalapenos, sliced in half lengthwise (also slice the habaneros in half lengthwise, if you're using them)
10 oz cream cheese, softened (I used fat free cream cheese)
7-8 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Panko bread crumbs

What you do:


First, cook up some bacon.  Let it cool a bit, then cut it up into small pieces.  


Mmmm.  Bacon.


Mix together the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and bacon.  Put that mixture into a ziploc bag, and cut off the corner.  Or put it into a pastry bag if you have one.  I don't have such fancy things.  


Pipe the cream cheese mixture into each pepper half.  Don't fill them too much.  You need the perfect ratio of cream cheese to pepper.  Top each pepper with panko bread crumbs.  Bake for 20-25 minutes in a 375* oven.  You can cook them on a cookie sheet covered with foil.  I cooked these in a glass baking dish because we were taking this to our friend's house for a pool party and I needed to put them in something that would transfer easily.  If the panko isn't golden brown after 25 minutes, turn the oven on broil and let those babies brown up for a couple minutes.

I failed to take an after picture because I made Cole take them out of the oven (I was too busy laying out by the pool).  They were a big hit, and the guys had fun challenging each other to see who could eat the most habaneros.  Boys are crazy.  


No comments:

Post a Comment